Euca-Latex Mattress Topper
Made of 2″ of soft all-natural latex wrapped in eucalyptus fibre and wool, this plush latex mattress topper will add comfort to your existing mattress and provide a fresh sleeping environment.
- This thick and plush mattress topper available will soften any hard surface.
- Natural fibres wrapping the latex will compress gradually and then stabilize.
- 2-year Warranty
- Anti Dust Mites
- Made in Quebec
Futon d’or : Manufacturer Since 1981
Estimated Production Time : 0-4 weeks.
- Our mattresses, futons and bolster cushions are hand-crafted using very few machinery and minimum packaging to reduce environmental impact.
- All our products are inspected one by one for quality control.
- The mattresses are standard North American sizes, select the needed size for more details.
- We can make custom-size mattresses, futons and covers for all kind of usage : special size, floor cushions, recreational vehicule or other personalized project. Contact us with details about your project.
Special Orders Production Time : 4-6 weeks.
Boreal Euca-latex Mattress Topper components
This all-natural mattress topper contains :
- Soft Natural Dunlop latex
- Natural wool
- Eucalyptus fiber
The symmetrical confection allows a rotation of the mattress topper and makes it last much longer.
Recommended for sleepers looking for :
- a fresh, hypoallergenic, dust-mites resistant mattress with no toxic fire retardants added.
- a mattress topper entirely made of natural components.
Component Description – Natural Latex
Latex has most of the qualities one would require from a good mattress :
- The elasticity of latex allows the mattress to adapt to the body shape and reduces uncomfortable pressure points.
- A very durable component that loses little volume, ensuring that the mattress will keep its shape throughout the years.
- Regulates temperature, allowing the body to remain cool and dry.
- Naturally hypoallergenic.
Latex Type : natural Dunlop
Origin : Sri Lanka
Density : 5.3 lb/cubic foot for our firm latex, 4.7 lb/cubic foot for our soft latex
Firmness Measurement ILD : used in 6″ layers : firm (34-38), used in 2″ layers : soft (23-27)
Latex is a natural product made from the sap of the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis). This sap is harvested by making notches in the tree trunk. We use high-quality natural Dunlop latex. Although our latex is not certified organic, it is natural and not a synthetic blend. We believe this type of latex is the best in terms of quality at a reasonable price.
Component Description – Eucalyptus Fiber
Eucalyptus fiber is used as the first layer under the mattress envelope. Already used in some textile products, this fibre has extraordinary temperature-regulating properties and we are proud to be among the firsts to use it in the materials that make up our mattresses.
- Soft and comfortable, it is ideal when combined with latex or a firm foam to achieve a balance between firmness and comfort.
- Regulates heat well, allowing the body to remain cool and dry.
- Naturally hypoallergenic and anti-dust mites
Volume : 2″ (5 cm) before compression
Origin : Australia
Confection : Montreal
Eucalyptus fiber is a derived product of the eucalyptus tree pulp. The produced fiber is soft and perfectly convenient for mattress manufacturing because it is naturally hypoallergenic and anti-dust mites. Its great capacity to absorb humidity compared to its volume. Eucalyptus fiber has very high humidity absorption and breathing capacity which repels parasites like dust-mites who tend to infest humid environments. Also, its very fast drying ability considerably reduces the propagation of bacteria and moist, adding to the life span of the mattress, countering the development of bad smell in long-term.
Added to all these positive effects on our sleep, growing the eucalyptus plant is very easy, making it an eco-friendly material. The plants do not require any pesticides to survive and the tree reaches maturity very fast. Even better, eucalyptus forests almost need no water spraying to grow. Studies show that eucalyptus only needs 155 gallons of water/pound of produced fibre and half an acre of territory can produce about a ton of fibre. In comparison, organic Californian cotton drains 782 gallons of water/pound and needs 3.5 acres to get the same amount of produced fibre. Eucalyptus can also be planted on low quality lands without altering the fibre, giving access to good arable land necessary to grow high quality food.
The fiber goes through different steps for its manufacturing. The tree is first cut to wood chip and mixed with amine oxides, an organic, biodegradable and non-toxic solvent. The fiber is slowly dissolved, cellulose is extracted and its agglomeration forms the fabric. Then multiple cleaning and drying cycles finally allows creating a final product clean and soft to maximize quality and comfort.
99% of the solvent and water used in the process are recycled and used again, the loss being minimal is ideal for an eco-friendly product. Finally, the tree automatically reproduces its own new sprouts, considerably reducing the energy loss and carbon emanations form heavy machinery normally used by industries to replant trees.
Eucalyptus layers must be compressed and held by small tufts on the surface of the mattress. These tufts are made of a cotton string with a plastic end visible on the mattress, for a more handcrafted style.
Component Description – Natural Wool
Our mattresses are made in a plush wool-quilted cover. Wool is the perfect fibre for bedding.
- Regulates heat well, allowing the body to remain cool and dry.
- Naturally hypoallergenic and anti-dust mites.
- Wool is a natural fire-retardant.
Volume : 5.9 oz/square yard
Origin : New-Zealand
Quilting : Montreal
Cover confection : Gatineau
Unlike synthetic fibers, the wool fiber absorbs humidity and regulate the temperature to keep the body dry during the sleep. The wool can absorb to 30% of its own weight in humidity. This animal fibre is made to temperate the body temperature. It keeps the same function in our mattresses by absorbing the body humidity during the night. The body being dry, you can stay cool during summer and warm during the winter.
In addition to give an incredible comfort, the wool is added to the surface of our mattresses to respect the flammability requirements in Canada for the mattresses because it is naturally a fireproof material.
For more information about the flame retardants used in our futons and our mattresses
***The wool cover is not meant to be removed for washing.
The Boreal Mattress Vision
We believe a mattress of quality is :
Healthy – Naturally hypoallergenic and without the addition of toxic flame retardants
Durable – Durable components to provide a true long-term value
Comfortable – Firm yet flexible support, and temperature regulating for a restorative sleep
Respect for our Customers
Transparent approach without any marketing gimmicks or false promotional offers
Detailed information on the materials used
Respect for the Environment
Environmentally friendly handcrafting process requiring minimal equipment
A $10 donation per mattress sold will be made to the organization Nature Conservancy Canada
BETTER FOR YOU, BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
For every Boreal mattress sold, we’re proud to donate $10 to Nature Conservancy of Canada
Established in 1962, NCC is Quebec’s leading not-for-profit private land conservation organization.