Deluxe Latex Shikibuton
If you like the idea of sleeping on a traditional Shikibuton but find it a little too firm, we’ve created the mattress you need. The Deluxe Latex Shikibuton is still firm and stable but the extra layer of soft natural latex adds some thickness for the perfect balance of comfort. The core is made of 2″ of all-natural latex with layers eucalyptus fiber on each side.
- Made in Quebec
- No Excess Packaging
- Soft and Durable Fabric
Futon d’or : Manufacturer Since 1981
Estimated Production Time : 0-4 weeks.
- Our mattresses, futons and bolster cushions are hand-crafted using very few machinery and minimum packaging to reduce environmental impact.
- All our products are inspected one by one for quality control.
- The mattresses are standard North American sizes, select the needed size for more details.
- We can make custom-size mattresses, futons and covers for all kind of usage : special size, floor cushions, recreational vehicule or other personalized project. Contact us with details about your project.
Special Orders Production Time : 4-6 weeks.
Deluxe Latex Shikibuton Components
This all-natural Shikibuton contains :
- Made of two layers of eucalyptus fiber with 2″ of soft all-natural latex at the core.
- The initial thickness is approximatelay 4″ and gradually compresses.
- You will find all the same components in our Euca-Latex Mattress Topper if you’d like an ultimate version with a wool quilted-enveloppe! (no attach straps)
The symmetrical confection allows a rotation of the Shikibuton and makes it last much longer.
Recommended for sleepers looking for :
- a fresh, hypoallergenic, dust-mites resistant mattress with no toxic fire retardants added.
- a mattress entirely made of natural components.
- A traditional japanese mattress that offers a firm sleeping surface.
- A mattress that can easily be rolled or folded. Two straps are sown at the bottom to tie the futon.
Recommendations and Care
- Shikibutons are not meant to be used on a futon frame as you would feel the slats. Tatamis are recommended to keep the mattress off the ground and prevent humidity and molding, which is not covered by warranty.
- A removable and washable cover is a great addition to your Shikibuton in long term.
- Keep your Shikibuton clean with an occasionnal vaccum. Rolling and shaking the mattress will give back volume to the fibers and fresh air and sun will kill bacteria.
- Make sure to rotate your Shikibuton to prevent humidity accumulation.
Component Description – Eucalyptus Fiber
Eucalyptus fiber is used as the first layer under the mattress envelope. Already used in some textile products, this fibre has extraordinary temperature-regulating properties and we are proud to be among the firsts to use it in the materials that make up our mattresses.
- Soft and comfortable, it is ideal when combined with latex or a firm foam to achieve a balance between firmness and comfort.
- Regulates heat well, allowing the body to remain cool and dry.
- Naturally hypoallergenic and anti-dust mites
Volume : 2″ (5 cm) before compression
Origin : Australia
Confection : Montreal
Eucalyptus fiber is a derived product of the eucalyptus tree pulp. The produced fiber is soft and perfectly convenient for mattress manufacturing because it is naturally hypoallergenic and anti-dust mites. Its great capacity to absorb humidity compared to its volume. Eucalyptus fiber has very high humidity absorption and breathing capacity which repels parasites like dust-mites who tend to infest humid environments. Also, its very fast drying ability considerably reduces the propagation of bacteria and moist, adding to the life span of the mattress, countering the development of bad smell in long-term.
Added to all these positive effects on our sleep, growing the eucalyptus plant is very easy, making it an eco-friendly material. The plants do not require any pesticides to survive and the tree reaches maturity very fast. Even better, eucalyptus forests almost need no water spraying to grow. Studies show that eucalyptus only needs 155 gallons of water/pound of produced fibre and half an acre of territory can produce about a ton of fibre. In comparison, organic Californian cotton drains 782 gallons of water/pound and needs 3.5 acres to get the same amount of produced fibre. Eucalyptus can also be planted on low quality lands without altering the fibre, giving access to good arable land necessary to grow high quality food.
The fiber goes through different steps for its manufacturing. The tree is first cut to wood chip and mixed with amine oxides, an organic, biodegradable and non-toxic solvent. The fiber is slowly dissolved, cellulose is extracted and its agglomeration forms the fabric. Then multiple cleaning and drying cycles finally allows creating a final product clean and soft to maximize quality and comfort.
99% of the solvent and water used in the process are recycled and used again, the loss being minimal is ideal for an eco-friendly product. Finally, the tree automatically reproduces its own new sprouts, considerably reducing the energy loss and carbon emanations form heavy machinery normally used by industries to replant trees.
Eucalyptus layers must be compressed and held by small tufts on the surface of the mattress. These tufts are made of a cotton string with a plastic end visible on the mattress, for a more handcrafted style.
Component Description – Natural Latex
Latex has most of the qualities one would require from a good mattress :
- The elasticity of latex allows the mattress to adapt to the body shape and reduces uncomfortable pressure points.
- A very durable component that loses little volume, ensuring that the mattress will keep its shape throughout the years.
- Regulates temperature, allowing the body to remain cool and dry.
- Naturally hypoallergenic.
Latex Type : natural Dunlop
Origin : Sri Lanka
Density : 5.3 lb/cubic foot for our firm latex, 4.7 lb/cubic foot for our soft latex
Firmness Measurement ILD : used in 6″ layers : firm (34-38), used in 2″ layers : soft (23-27)
Latex is a natural product made from the sap of the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis). This sap is harvested by making notches in the tree trunk. We use high-quality natural Dunlop latex. Although our latex is not certified organic, it is natural and not a synthetic blend. We believe this type of latex is the best in terms of quality at a reasonable price.
Shikibuton Size Chart : Boreal Bed-size Tatamis
When used with Boreal bed-size tatamis, refer to the configuration image beside to determine the amount of tatami mats trequired to match the mattress size.
The Boreal Mattress Vision
We believe a mattress of quality is :
Healthy – Naturally hypoallergenic and without the addition of toxic flame retardants
Durable – Durable components to provide a true long-term value
Comfortable – Firm yet flexible support, and temperature regulating for a restorative sleep
Respect for our Customers
Transparent approach without any marketing gimmicks or false promotional offers
Detailed information on the materials used
Respect for the Environment
Environmentally friendly handcrafting process requiring minimal equipment
A $10 donation per mattress sold will be made to the organization Nature Conservancy Canada